Saturday, October 13, 2007

Lucky Seven

Seven months... it seems like a big number, but I'm just starting to get used to this pregnancy thing. I must be huge by now because people are finally starting to notice. I don't have many friends who've squeezed out babies before, so I feel like some sort of UN representative. Misconceptions and assumptions run wild among young women these days. Perhaps we've all watched a little too much E.R. Yes, I'm big, but I'm going to get even bigger. Try not to look so panicked, standing next to me will make you look super model skinny. No, I don't live on pickle and peanut butter sandwiches, but I'll be happy to help you out with that mac and cheese. And no, I don't think being cut open while conscious and stapled shut is a more pleasant option then letting the baby come out the way nature intended. For the record I'd just like to reassure all the ladies out there that pregnancy isn't all nausea and cankles and water retention.

Okay, so maybe I'm a freak of nature, but I've enjoyed my pregnancy thus far. Yes, I get tired more easily, but I also get to sleep more. I am sometimes filled with a deep ravenous hunger, but I enjoy a good meal more than ever. I have a little parasite sucking life out of my marrow, but I always have good company. My midsection is ballooning out, but my husband has become charmingly smitten with my baby bump. I know my body will never look the same afterwards, but I may finally get those hips I've been wanting all these years. I feel pretty, and loved, and excited about all those things we're taught to fear- change, responsibility, and an end to "youth".

Look, I'm 27 not 18. Even if I avoid babies like the plague my face and my ass will not go with me to the grave. I've had my fare share of one night stands and globe trotting. Believe it or not, it does get old after a while. My biological clock went off and I was fortunate to be located right next to a lovely man who I wanted make babies with. Luckily he wanted to make babies with me, too. If you don't want to have children, don't. It's that simple. But don't deny me the pleasure of fulfilling my biological imperative.

No comments: