Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Baby's First Christmas

Christmas is a coming. And it's a good thing, too. Our little tree, precious first Christmas tree, is just as dry as dry can be. With our heaters cranked during this cold and unusually snowy period the little tree never had a chance. It still looks pretty, as long as you don't touch it.
This is easier said than done when you are 11 months old. Even a sturdy barrier of chairs can't keep little O out. She's learned to crawl wiggle and her way in to the alluring pine scented puddle of water.
This is our first family Christmas, and despite the lean times, it's been a lot of fun trying to set up traditions. However, this means a lot of work for Mama. I've been burning the midnight oil most nights, hidden away in the back bedroom, sewing Christmas stockings, decorations, and a lot of our presents. There's also the worry that at such a young age, Olive just won't care much, despite our efforts. I'm trying to keep it simple (and within our tiny budget) so Olive is getting only a few small gifts this year. What do you get an 11 month old for Christmas? There's a shiny new Kazoo with a fancy paint job, a sturdy mama and baby pocket pony set, a satsuma in the toe of her stocking, a button studded fabric bracelet, and of course, every baby's greatest desire- a box of Kleenex to disembowel all by herself.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I told my sister about the kleenex box gift. We think that is the best idea ever.

I'd like to send your folks a Christmas card but I don't have their new address. Could you email it to me?

I sent your card to E***s St. Hope that is right.

Best,

Suzanne