Aside from discovering muscles I never knew could hurt so much, I’m also trying to relearn everything I know about gardening. I never really stopped to think about how regional farming practices are. I learned a little about this the hard way when an overenthusiastic teacher picked all my Halloween pumpkins I had growing at school a good two months early because 1) they were “so big” and 2) (Japanese) pumpkins are "all picked before September". It would be easy to blame this mishap on the arrogance that comes with seniority, but really, how much do you know about the needs of foreign produce? Would you know when a daikon is ready to be picked, or which kind of trellis is best for a Japanese eggplant? Me neither. Which is why I’m in a bit of a panic now that I’m responsible for so much dirt.
Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be massive number of English speaking farmers in Japan sharing knowledge of Japanese produce and farming conditions online. So I’ve lowered my expectations, and settled for gardening advice that is both readily available and within my language abilities. Welcome to the reading room at my elementary school. There are the requisite picture books, volumes of brain teasers, and a little young adult fiction for the big kids. There are also heaps of books on trains, fish, and surprisingly enough, farming. It might just be a rural or regional thing, but school gardens and personal planters for students seem to be pretty common features around Kyushu schools. And so, when I have a spare moment on a slow day, I’ll sneak off to the library, just past the train section, and pick up a densely illustrated volume on container gardening, or the different varieties of sweet potato, or just for kicks try deciphering the appeal of growing rape.
While seed packets here do come with the basic information like planting guidelines there’s not much appeal in growing the same varieties of turnips, radishes, and beans that I can buy easily enough in the grocery store. Heirloom seeds just aren’t that popular with hobbyists, at least not those that shop at the local Nafco. Plus, with access to dirt, I have the potential to grow some of the things I’ve missed eating. Exotic things like collard greens, beets, or rhubarb! In fact, I suspect I could do some pretty brisk trade in Halloween pumpkins and Brussels sprouts with the foreign teacher crowd at the right time of the year.
The trick now is to learn enough about local soil and weather conditions to apply them to my sparse knowledge of non-Japanese varieties. I still can’t nail down Kyushu’s frost date, but I’m pretty certain that our planting zone is on par with the American South. Can I grow watermelon? No idea, but I’m going to try anyways. Wish me luck.
![]() |

2 comments:
Good luck with your gardening. I always find it is easier to grow things that no one else has seen before....that way you don't get very much advice as how to grow them perfectly (which is usually more trouble than it is worth!).
Have you ever heard of Tane no Mori? It is a fantastic seed company in Japan which specialises in organic seeds. Unfortunately their website is only in Japanese, but if you are interested and need help ordering just let me know. I highly recommend them.
Their website is http://tanenomori.org/
Thanks Jo. I figured I'd hear from you. And yes, people do love to give advice, don't they? Still, I am greateful for the generosity. Home grown food is so much better tasting... not to mention a fraction of the cost.
Post a Comment