Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Typhoon Neoguri

There was a “typhoon”. We are all fine. Meetings were had and it was decided on Tuesday that school should be let out early on Wednesday and canceled on Thursday. And then on Wednesday the typhoon got downgraded to a non-super typhoon, grade 2. Then an hour or so after the storm made landfall last evening it was downgraded again to a tropical storm. I’m sure it felt humiliated with this constant criticism. Now it’s Thursday and it’s not even really raining, but we still don’t have class because we had that meeting back on Tuesday. So Olive has the day off to tackle her extra thick packet of typhoon homework and I’ve got the day to warm my desk. Yes, that’s right. Even when school is canceled the teachers have to come in to the office. It makes some sense given that schools are typically the official evacuation centers. However, I am extremely grateful that I didn’t have to manage my morning commute in a typhoon this morning. Now I have the whole day to create new worksheets, laminate things, and freeze directly under the air conditioner out vent. It’s not that warm today, post storm and all, but it’s July. The staff members are determined to get their money’s worth out of the AC now that we can use it, air temperature be damned.

No comments: