Friday, May 11, 2007

Can You Keep a Secret?

My DH certainly can't. One day after we decided to have the baby, he told his family, coworkers, and several friends. Three days later the bar tender at the club where I work knows. Random people shout congratulations from moving cars. Regular customers eyeball my stomach. Ah, the power of gossip. It's for the better I suppose, even if it is rather early. When people find out from me they always assume that I'm not happy with the decision. (No, that would be the indigestion.) DH is the one with the glow and the dumb grin. People are much more congratulatory and less concerned when he drops the bomb. And drop the bomb he has. There isn't anyone left for me to tell, except my parents. I'm saving the surprise for our lunch on Mother's Day. I'm sure they'll be fall down surprised; I've been so adamant in my anti-baby position until recently. But they'll be happy. People with kids are always the most excited- even those with wives who went crazy and ran off. No matter what hard core feminists may want us to believe, there is something hard wired into us that makes us want to produce and protect our children. Just don't try to rub my belly.

No comments: