That used to be a question I encountered only when dining out. Sometimes reading the menu isn't enough. You have to know what everyone else at your table is ordering, too. As if hearing someone's rational for ordering a salad will make you want one too.
Of course when people ask the question now they couldn't care less about my steak, they want to know the status of my fetus. Does anyone still aim for "two boys and a girl" these days? I thought that went the way of picking china patterns and a birth rate higher then 1.3. Isn't in utero a little early for expressing your desires and expectations for your off spring? Because that's what it really boils down to- what you want your child to be. Want a quiet, clean child deeply interested in inter-personal relationships and matching ensembles? What you need is a girl. Looking for something energetic, outspoken and sporty? Try our XY model. Anyone who's spent time around children can tell you nothing's set in stone. Just look at my sister: loud, boisterous, messy, and hell bent on joining the wrestling team. She grew up to be a pro jockey... In these days of girl power, should it really be an issue anymore?
I've read stats showing that marriages with a first born son have a higher rate of success. The rational is that the father, being keen on raising a bouncing butch boy and sharing his love of fantasy football and titty bars will be more involved in raising the child. But what happens if (gasp!) the boy is more interested in interior design than baseball? What if your oldest (or only) is a girl. Can't she bond with daddy over hot wings and Monday night football, too? I'd like to say that my liberal, baby loving husband is above this. While embarrassed of his preference, he would in truth be "slightly more excited" about a boy. We don't have a TV and he doesn't like football, so obviously the mechanics must run deeper.
I've thought long and hard about this, mostly because people keep asking. The generic "a healthy baby" isn't enough to sate their appetite anymore. In truth, it's not an honest answer. For example I'd be totally okay with extra digits. Even I have to admit that one gender trumps the other. A girl would be nice, if only for the (relative) simplicity of toilet training, not having to dodge pee fountains while changing diapers, and the whole faster development thing. However, I know my track record with babies and while little girls will tolerate me, little boys flock to me like a cat to a can opener.
We'll find out the gender at my August appointment. We opted to learn the gender since 1) it's a baby not a Christmas present, and 2) relatives can get on with the frilly dress/firetruck onesie shopping frenzy. Until the 20 week ultrasound I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep hoping for a puppy.
No comments:
Post a Comment