Monday, May 26, 2008

Ugh...

It's been ages since I've posted- and I'm not blaming new motherhood or a cranky baby this time. I have been sick. Not just sniffles or ear ache sick (I've had those on and off for months), but hallucinating, sweating, can't get out of bead, lying on the bathroom floor sick. I had the flu for a week with brain shattering high temp over 104. Then I started coughing up blood and having trouble holding my baby. That was nearly three weeks ago and I'm still on antibiotics for my pneumonia.

It would be nice to say that there was an outpouring of help from our community of friends... there wasn't really. But what can you do. The longer I'm a mother the more I bemoan our nation's obsession with independence and the nuclear family. My husband is great and active with his baby, but the man has to work. My mother is wonderful, but she too has a job, and while driving from Seattle isn't like commuting from Dubai, with the price of gas I feel pretty bad about calling on her every weekend.

Every mother should be surrounded with help. Someone to take the baby for a stroll so you can nap or eat. Someone to walk the yowling baby up and down the hallway in the evening when you desperately want to sell the baby off to the gypsies. Someone to worry about dinner and how the dirty diapers are going to wash themselves. I have no desire to move to Alaska, but there are days (many days) when I wish that family was just down the street.

Sigh... the good news is I'm officially below my pre-preggers weight. I've lost more than 30 pounds without stroller work outs, label reading or calorie counting. Though I doubt I'd recommend my weight loss diet to anyone. Strangely enough my child weathered my illness without so much as a hiccup and is fatter than ever. Here is a Mother's Day photo... note how completely oblivious my daughter is to the fact that two hours earlier I was vomiting bile in the bathroom. She cares not about my low grade fever or how the antibiotic's I'm on are causing heinous heartburn up to my ears. She's just stoked that she got to go out to breakfast and everyone lavished her with praise and attention. I am happy because my child is happy- that and my husband and mother went out of their way to make one sicko's day a bit better.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

She is beautiful.

audible said...

Great to hear from you Suzanne. Hope you had a most wonderful mother's day!